Over Six Decades of Serving Moncton
The Boys & Girls Club of Moncton has been a safe, supportive place where children and youth have experienced new opportunities, overcome barriers, built positive relationships and developed confidence and skills for life over the past six decades.
Fraser Woodhouse, who is the Eastern Regional Director of the Boys Clubs of Canada, comes to Moncton to look at potentially establishing a Boys Club in the city since the existing club operates on a smaller scale and focuses primarily on boys who have been in trouble.
Mr. Woodhouse contacts several prominent citizens, including Mr. Hall, Mr. Betts as well as city Director of Recreation, Mr. J. A. Keefe, and Judge W. Lane. Letters are sent out asking for assistance with the Club, and the Moncton Boys Club comes into being on September 16, 1957. The first President elect is Mr. Pat Geary from Montreal. The club is officially incorporated in 1959.
A first operating grant from the city of Moncton is followed by support from the United Veterans Council. With monetary and executive representation from the Air Force Veterans Club, #31 R.A.F. Club, C.N.R. War Veterans Club, Main Brace Veterans Club, and R.C.A.F. Association Wind, the Veterans Council is key in keeping the Boys Club going through its many early growing pains.
Many locations are used in the first few years, including the #10 Release Center, St. Henri School, and Beausejour School. Finally, the Kinsmen Club gives the Moncton Boys Club a building valued at $130,000, a colossal undertaking for a service club.
Since 1957, the Moncton Lions Club has been instrumental in helping the Moncton Boys & Girls Club throughout its evolution. This support includes our summer camp expansion and renovations, the purchase of many new club vans, and extensive support for our programs and special activities.
On November 24, 1962, at 3:00 p.m., the new building is officially opened with a membership of 188 boys. The gymnasium of the new club is a gift from one of the founding members, Judge W. Lane. Also coinciding with the opening of the new building is the establishment of the Boy of the Year Award, given in memory of Dr. C.H. Blakeney and presented to the Boys Club by the Honourable L.G. DesBrisay.
In 1966, the club program is extended to include girls as well as boys. This is also a time when our club showcases a “Girl of the Year” award, sponsored by J. Harold Wallace.
The Kiwanis Club takes on the task of developing the Outdoor Centre at Livingston Lake, Albert Co. With an initial donation of $6,000, Livingston Lake has continued to grow and must be listed under our more successful ventures.
In the same year, the Parkton Heights Day Care is formed through a government grant to cover a growing community need for pre-school services that is now under the jurisdiction of the Moncton Boys & Girls Club Inc. In 1991, the name is changed to Little Treasures Child Care Centre.
An extension club is started in the basement of Christ-Roi Church to cover the growing need for a Boys & Girls Club program in the area. Periodically, the Moncton Boys & Girls Club Inc. operates outreach programs in other areas of the city to cover growing needs, such as in the Birchmount and Humphrey areas.
We officially become the “Moncton Boys & Girls Club – Club de Garçons et Filles de Moncton”. In the same year, the Kinsmen Club of Moncton comes forward to build a Garage – Workshop Extension onto the main facility.
An Energy Audit is conducted which leads to the Retrofit ’82 program of renovations that cost $128,000. A new roof is provided along with a major uplift designed to reduce operating costs for the facility.
The Kiwanis Club sponsors the construction of a washhouse and program lodge at Livingston Lake.
Two group homes for adolescent youth are started up under the branch name of Moncton Youth Residences, Drummond and Sherrard Houses.
The Boys & Girls Club of Moncton begins a multi-million-dollar project to renovate and expand the existing facilities built in 1961.
The Boys & Girls Club of Moncton opens its brand new facilities to the children and youth of our community.
Our club embraces children and youth of all colours, denominations and cultural backgrounds with a marked emphasis on developing respectful and trusting relationships within a framework of full gender equality. Since numbers are expected to grow significantly in the coming months and years, our team is dedicated to creating an increasingly welcoming, stimulating and safe environment that will provide support for the emergent concept of intercultural accommodation for all youth.